Visit our Children's Health information
- The Paediatric Department at Bay of Plenty DHB provides
specialist paediatric services for children aged 0-14 years.
- Babies that are born early; are very small or have other acute
problems at birth will be referred to the Paediatric Department and
the child may be admitted Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU).
- Very sick children may be cared for in Tauranga or Whakatāne
Hospital's Intensive Care Unit (ICU), but are sometimes transferred
to Starship Hospital, Auckland for further treatment.
- Young children with surgical problems are often transferred to
Waikato Hospital for surgical treatment.
- For children staying overnight in our Children's Ward there are
facilities for one parent or caregiver to stay with their child.
Visitors are welcome until 8.00 pm.
- Admission to the Children's Unit is either via the Emergency
Department for acute illnesses or by appointment for a scheduled
February 22, 2016